After completing my Stegosaurus sculpture, I decided that I wanted to try another dinosaur sculpture…kind of a companion piece. I knew I wanted this one to be much, much larger, and give me the opportunity to have some more fun with the construction and the treatment of the metal.
I figured a Brachiosaurus would be large enough.
Because I was under a time crunch, I purchased the piece of rebar that would become the spine from a pretty limited selection of rebar at the Home Depot. The shop where I usually get my meta for my projects, Industrial Metal Supply, has more options and better prices, but are clear across town and I didn’t have time to make the trip before my the lab, so I ended up with 10 feet of half-inch rebar strapped to the top of the car.
The problem, I discovered with half-inch rebar, is that it’s too thick to shape using the bender we had in the lab. I could either get slight bends or really drastic folds in the bar, but nothing like the sloping curves I was looking for. I decided to try heating it with a torch and bending that way.
While it did technically work, I was really unhappy with he result, and in the end, had to change the sculpture into a smaller dinosaur, simply because I couldn’t get the bends in the rebar right to give me the correct proportions I was looking for. While the finished project is a fine Apatosaur, it’s not the monster I wanted to end up with, so I may work up another one with smaller gauge bar, or figure out a different method of construction.
One of the best parts was that the instructor in the class liked it so much he made me set it outside in the hallway while he went around and gathered up instructors from other classes to show it off.